Friday, February 25, 2011

San Diego Supercross thrills a local race fan

Donna Block, with her brother Steve, take a moment to sign autographs for some young fans at the SD Supercross race.

By: Donna Block

The Supercross San Diego races on Saturday proved to be a different perspective for me. San Diego Supercross was only the second time I’ve ever attended a Supercross event. The first was just this year, when I attended the Opening Supercross that was held at Anaheim Stadium on Jan. 8.
Despite a forecast for rain I was really amazed just how many people came out, not just for the race that night, (53,342) but also how many fans came out to hang out in the pit area and visit vendors and meet their favorite riders to get autographs.
As my brother Steve and I walked around the pits we really enjoyed seeing how many people were wearing our brother, Ken Block’s, gear. How surprised we were when several kids actually asked us for our autographs!
Trying to walk in my brother’s footsteps, I am in the process of launching my own line of active wear clothing, so I plan on attending as many of these kinds of events as possible. As most of you know, and some may just be finding out, my brother Ken, who grew up here in Valley Center, created three successful skateboarding and snowboard entities: Eightball Clothing, Droors Clothing, DUB cold weather gear and Blunt Magazine. He then co-founded DC Shoes in 1994 with partner Damon Way.
Many ask me if Ken named DC shoes after me because my name is Donna Christine Block. So on this note, I’ve created my own logo and have named my company DCB Active Wear. Being that I am financing this adventure on my own, with a little help from friends, I am starting out with t-shirts. As DCB grows we will be coming out with more shirts, hats and other types of active wear clothing. I’ve also been getting some help from Zenkai Motorsports of Las Vegas who so kindly put my logo on racer Thomas Smith’s car when he competed in last December’s Ken Block first Invitational Gymkhana Grid event.
Back to Supercross! It was fun and exciting to watch the races. Chad Reed of Dade City, Florida, captured his sixth career San Diego win in the Supercross class. Eli Tomac of Cortez, Colorado, captured his first career supercross victory in the Western Regional Supercross Lites class. James (Bubba) Stewart took third.
The 2011 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend at Atlanta’s Georgia Dome for the eighth race of the season.

Steve and Donna pause for a photo with Malcome Stewart, brother of racer James "Bubba" Stewart.

Steve and Donna Block get a photo with Quirt Crawford and a race fan named Reese.

No comments: