Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rescued from near death, Magic the horse brings joy to his new family


By RHODA REILLY

My seven-year-old Thoroughbred gelding, Magic, is truly a magical horse.
From the moment I saw his photo on the Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue Society Web site, I knew this was a special horse. I had seen his before photo of when he was a few days away from death by starvation, his eyes lifeless and his spirit broken. Then, I viewed the after photo of a few weeks of rehabilitation when his spirit began to shine. After adopting him and providing him with the love and dignity he deserved, his true nature began to reveal itself.
Magic is full of love, humor, intelligence and bravery. I first discovered his humor when he would try to help me clean up his corral in the morning. He would sneak up behind me and take the rake in his mouth making sweeping motions until he would decide it was time to fling the rake. He also loves to take my cowgirl hat when I’m not looking in his mouth and play keep away. One day my husband spit water out of his mouth into Magic’s nose. Well, Magic decided to get even by getting a drink of water and walked over to my husband who was bending down in the corral and dribbled water on top of my husband’s head. Magic thought this was so funny that he decided to do it to other people as well. He would nonchalantly come over to someone who would be sitting outside the corral and dribble water over their head.
Magic obviously had very little training in anything but running on a racetrack. Once I began ground work with him, he picked up immediately and would anticipate my every move. He no longer tried to walk me and allowed me to lead him in only one lesson. His first ride on a trail was one of wonder and delight. He would spook ever so slightly at something new, but with encouragement he would bravely walk past the spooky obstacle. He seemed so excited to be out exploring rather than the tedious training he received of racing around a track. He held his head up high and proud, and his muscles rippled under his saddle. He now has the majestic look of an elegant and powerful race horse.
Magic soon figured out where the special treats in the tack room were kept and once after a ride, decided to go right to the door to see if he could get a treat. Before giving in to him, I made him learn a trick. I asked him to give me foot, foot, which meant he had to paw the ground with his left leg. With a little nudging he picked it up immediately. Then I would tell him, other foot, foot and he gave me his other front leg. Now he has a routine of prancing to the song, foot, foot. After he got bored with this, I began to teach him other tricks. His latest trick is to bow. He is 17.3 hands and it is amazing to see him get down on his leg and bow so willingly.
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and work as a psychotherapist out of my home. I often use my animals (dogs, cats & horses) to help clients in the healing process. Magic has become an excellent therapy horse, not only with the children I work with, but also with the veterans I serve who have deep emotional wounds. He is extra sweet and tender with children and is always willing to give them a very calm ride (unlike myself whom he likes to kick up his heels with). He seems to sense my clients’ vulnerability and treats them with special care. He instills a new-found confidence in them. He is able to teach them about love and trust, something he has apparently learned himself. Magic could have easily turned out to be a horse with many psychological problems due to his horrendous maltreatment. Just as the clients I work with continue to display their resilience and courage to transform their adversities into triumphs, Magic has proven what happens when a broken spirit is given the chance to learn to trust again and allow the power of love into their lives.
I will always be grateful for the Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue Society for their heroic efforts in saving these magnificent horses who are so deserving of a second chance. I will also always be grateful to Magic for enriching my life and the lives of my clients.

No comments: